04 May BeSocial@GL54 Community Classes
Besocial Winchcombe has won funding for more community classes and has received a £2,000 grant from the Commissioner’s Fund to support new community initiatives for fitness and social events. The money will go towards setting up new health-related events and leisure classes for local residents.
The Commissioner’s Fund comes from the Office of the Gloucestershire Police and Crime Commissioner. It helps fund county community initiatives in line with its priorities to build a safer, healthier, more just and inclusive county to live, work and enjoy.
Vicky Weaver, BeSocial’s manager, said: “This is great news. It will enable us to continue the good work we are already doing. We have some great classes running, but would like to expand these. This funding will enable us to do that and we hope more people will take advantage of the services offered by BeSocial Winchcombe.”
Launched in April 2017, BeSocial provides a range of exercise classes specifically aimed at more mature members of the community. The fitness-based classes so far include:
- Walking Football and Walking Rugby: With the buzz and camaraderie of team sports at a slightly slower pace
- Move it or Lose it: A gentle exercise class that can be done seated or standing, so it ideal for those with limited mobility, or recovering from surgery
- Dance with Parkinson’s: A dance and social session for people living with Parkinson’s.
- A new venue for Dancing for Parkinson’s has been added and will commence 6 March in Broadwell, near Moreton in the Marsh.
Leisure classes include:
- Walking for Health, led by a national organisation
- Monthly Tea Dances
- BeSocial lunches
- Moving Well class
Dance with Parkinsons 2-3.30pm at Abbey Fields Community Centre £5 per session, a friend or carer can come for £1 suggested donation towards refreshments
Walking Football 3pm at Winchcombe Sports Hall £2
Move It or Lose It 11.30am at BeSocial, Langley Road £4.50
Moving Well 1.30pm (gentle, seated exercise class) at BeSocial, Langley Road £2
Walking Rugby 10.30am at Winchcombe Sports Hall £3
For more information, check the timetable.
or find Besocial@GL54 Winchcombe on facebook.