26 May Churchill Arrives at Sudeley
Churchill Arrives at Sudeley
A beautiful oil painting by Sir Winston Churchill is to go on display at Sudeley Castle.
The artwork, called ‘Cap d’Ail, Alpes-Maritimes’ was painted by the former Prime Minister in 1952 while he was staying at Lord Beaverbrook’s villa, La Capponcina, in Cap d’Ail, across the bay from Monte Carlo in the South of France.
The painting is being loaned to Sudeley Castle by the Royal Academy of Arts in London, in exchange for Sudeley’s ‘Rise of the River Stour’, also known as ‘The Swan’s Nest’ (c.1824) by one of Britain’s greatest painters, Joseph Turner.
The Turner painting has hung in the Morning Room at Sudeley Castle for 90 years. It is part of the Morrison Collection which arrived at Sudeley Castle in 1929 when Major John Dent-Brocklehurst married Mary Morrison, who came from a wealthy family of philanthropists and entrepreneurs.
It will now go on display at the Royal Academy of Arts from 12 June until 19 August, as part of their exhibition, entitled ‘The Great Spectacle: 250 Years of the Summer Exhibition’.
Meanwhile, the Churchill oil painting will join an existing collection of significant artworks on display at the Castle, such as the famous 16th century ‘The Allegory of the Tudor Succession’ by Lucas de Heere which portrays four of the Tudor monarchs.
Sir Winston Churchill started painting at the age of 40 whilst suffering from depression. He was self-taught and went on to produce around 500 works throughout his life. In 1948 he was appointed Honorary Academician Extraordinary by the Royal Academy for “achievements in the art of painting”. It was then that he gave his painting, Cap d’Ail, Alpes-Maritimes’, to the Royal Academy of Arts for its permanent collection.